Living with Dementia and Planning Future Care

A dementia diagnosis is undoubtedly devastating news for individuals and their families. Although it might be hard to discuss, it is important to plan for your future care and ensure your wishes are carried out.

John Moore

This week, CJCH took part in a discussion with the Law Society as part of their Dementia Action Week campaign. Our specialist solicitor, John Moore, joins the conversation, which aims to unite people through discussing living with dementia and planning for future care.

How can a solicitor help someone living with dementia plan for their future?

If a person still has mental capacity, a solicitor can put a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) in place to ensure that the person’s finances are managed in the future.

What are Lasting Powers of Attorney and what do they cover?

An LPA grants a trusted individual the power to make decisions on behalf of the donor, if the person is unable to make the decision themselves. There are two different types of LPA. They are for health & and welfare, and for property & financial affairs. It is possible to draw up one or both. Moreover, a different person can be appointed for each LPA, or both can be the same.

What is a deputy and how can you become one?

A deputy is someone appointed by the Court to manage someone’s affairs where they don’t have the mental capacity to make an LPA. A Court application is needed.

What is an advance statement and how can it help someone living with dementia?

An advance statement is a way to provide instructions about your wishes to assist people in making decisions about your health or social care in the future – especially if you lose the capacity to make decisions or communicate them.

What advice would you give someone living with dementia when it comes to planning for the future?

Undoubtedly a difficult topic to discuss, it is important to plan by making an LPA and clearly set out your wishes so that you are cared for properly and receive the assistance you need if your health were to deteriorate.

How can we help?

At CJCH, we use our combined expertise to help you plan for your future care. For more information, contact us via:

Telephone: 0333 231 6405


Planning for tomorrow – Introduction to Lasting Power of Attorney

By John Moore, Solicitor

We live in a time of better healthcare and advances in science where we are able to enjoy life for longer than previous generations.  We never know what is around the corner, however, with many people experiencing challenges with their mental health in their later years or are incapacitated through accident, injury or illness.

Here at CJCH, we regularly meet people of all ages who come to us for advice and who are concerned about safeguarding their personal affairs in the future.  Where appropriate, we try and assist by arranging a Lasting Power of Attorney for our clients in respect of their property and financial affairs.

A Lasting Power of Attorney is a legal document which allows individuals to appoint someone of their choosing to act on their behalf (as their attorney) if they are no longer able to manage things themselves for whatever reason. An attorney would be able to access a person’s property and finances to help pay bills, manage investments and pay care home fees. An attorney is legally under a duty, however, to act in the person’s best interest at all times.

Sadly, however, many people that we meet have loved ones who have not set up a Lasting Power of Attorney and no longer have the mental capacity, whether by illness or accident, to be able to do so.  We often find that family members hit a brick wall when dealing with banks and buildings societies who will of course only deal with the account holder themselves.  As there is no one legally able to act for the person it means that there are often situations where bills and care fees cannot be paid. This causes a great deal of stress for everyone involved because a person’s finances cannot be accessed or their property cannot be managed or sold.

In order to resolve this our team of experienced lawyers represent families in making applications to the Court of Protection so that family members can be appointed as Deputies to manage a person’s property and financial affairs.  Once the Court has approved an application the family members who have applied will be able to access a person’s finances and manage the sale of a property under a Court Order.  The Majority of applications to the Court are straightforward and dealt with on paper and do not require any attendance at Court.

If you would like to speak with us for a free consultation on better preparing for your future to ensure those things that are so important to you can be managed property should you no longer be able to do so yourself, you can contact Mr John Moore (solicitor) in our Private Clients department:

Telephone number0333 231 6405, or email

You can engage with CJCH Solicitors on Facebook, twitter or LinkedIn.